Thursday, September 3, 2009

Inglourious Basterds: The best 15 bucks I ever spent outside of The Fabulous Forum


*Spoiler alert* Nazi's are a bunch of dicks



Man, I am telling you, this cat just keeps getting better and better. Much has been made about the spouts of the ole' Ultra Violence in Basterds; it's just pretty window dressing if you ask me. This is an movie that throws around a lot of scenes that politely insist they belong to the annals of film history without alienating the masses of the golden plated demographic or abandoning the respectful art of homage that has always been Tarantino's calling card. The obvious screen stealer is the personage of Christoph Waltz in his turn as Nazi no-good-so-and-so. He did a real real good job mastering that self-satisfied shit-eating giggle that seems to belong solely to Nazi's, bureaucrats, and Nazi bureaucrats. The Tarantino bump is sure to land this fella on the red carpet for a decade of overpaid turns that try and reclaim this precipice. I've heard, from my buddy and fellow movie goer amongst more professional opinions, that Brad Pitt fell short in his role, but I don't buy it. He was the cartoonish ingredient the movie needed to transcend melodrama, and I don't think anybody else could have married bloodlust with whimsy and guffaws so tightly (certainly not Eli Roth the Bear Jew, the Jazzy Jeff to Quentin's Fresh Prince).

For all the incredible scenes, the groovy showdown in the pub, the countryside ethnic cleansing and the theatre ka-booming (and one could say the plot pushes pretty hard just to get over to the big scenes), you could fall asleep for them all and not feel bad about your fifty dollar popcorn, if you only saw Melanie Laurent doing her minimalist gut contortion over fluffy dessert with the butcher of her family. If Mr. QT has bonifide genius, it is tapping genius performances out of his ladies, and with Laurent he makes everything else he's done look like learning experiences.

I endorse this flick. The Beal seal of approval. You'll leave the theatre walking on air and if you don't we probably can never be friends. Quentin, never stop, never ever stop.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I am sad that we can never be friends, but I am so over Tarantino that I look forward to never seeing this movie. If I ever do get the urge to imbibe his particular brand of slick hipster kool-aid, I'll just sit down for a rewatch of Reservoir Dogs. Or better yet, True Romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Also, yay! Successful posting, at last :D
    Walt was likewise impressed with the Basterds. I think it must have something to do with that quirky, unpredictable Y chromosome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, give this flick the Beal Seal of Approval. Though I more cleverly call it the Beal Seal of ApprovEal.

    ReplyDelete