Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Avatar: Good

Before I talk about Avatar, I want to talk about Transformers II.

This photo is not from Transformers II you say.  No, but I think it illustrates a point.

Transformers two was ridiculous and anyone who doesn't think so is foolish or a bean counter.  But Transformers had something going for it, not plot, not acting, not je ne sais quoi.  Transformers had Wicked awesome robots tearing each other apart for a good chunk of the movie.  Robots fighting Robots is very cool, so I liked Transformers, much to the chagrin of my more snobbish associations.  That said I had to like it despite what seemed like a great deal of effort on the part of the filmmakers to evoke a contrary Response.  My love for Optimus Prime can move mountains.
Avatar is not Transformers.  Avatar is passably acted, by that I mean it isn't revolting at any point.  There are no Jar Jar moments and there is no Shia Lebeouf.  The plot has been compared to Dances with Wolves, but I think gets closer to Braveheart.  Insofar as the plot is a vehicle for the visuals, fine.  They went to amazing lengths, considering the fantastic scope of the story, to avoid insulting my intelligence.  Avatar is a fucking great movie!  It's butter on whole grain popcorn.   The 3D is great without being ridiculous, the story is exciting and hits all the action high notes that make the 10 year old in me squeal.

There is a scene in this film where a Mech fights a Warrior Princess riding a Lizard Panther that lasts a good 5 minutes.  For all of you who know what I'm talking about, just rest your eyes for five seconds and think about that.

vs


The Film is PG but it didn't feel like that hampered it, you can get good action movies without chopping heads off it seems and I'd be pleased as punch to take my kids to see it for an excuse to don the Buddy Hollies again.

Calls of Racism, of Neo-Colonialism, of Blasphemy, of deep fried leftist propaganda, etc etc have been, um, called.  Maybe, but lighten up already.  It's a goddamn movie.

I had a coupon for a free movie, but the talking acne colony at the concession/ticket stand told me my coupon was only good for 2D movies, and Avatar was a 3D movie.  That extra D cost me a mortgage payment.  Imagine my surprise.  I was pretty uptight when I sat down, and because I had heard a handful of reviews that said it was garbage I was ready to ruin the movie for everyone, but it was not Garbage.  It was good.  The McDonald's Avatar toys that came with happy meals, they were garbage.   

This movie made more money than you could spend.  It is not the greatest movie ever made.  It is just awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard the plot is identical to Pocahontas, but I'm reserving judgement until I see it myself. 3D is sold out all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whassamadda, you don't like Pocahontas?

    ReplyDelete