Monday, January 4, 2010

Nikolski: Multicultural Montreal Makes Me Merry



Nicolas Dickner's Nikolski is the reason "Canada Reads" is awesome.  I shouldn't think I'd ever have occasion to read this book otherwise, and I really liked it.  It was a charming, light and funny read and absolutely unlike anything I've read since Fruit last year.  That it won a GG for translation probably means it captures most of that which is usually lost in translation, so I do feel comfortable saying Dickner maybe swung for the fences a little bit more than he needed to, but the result still feels like a comfy small town story that spans the country and the Americas.

      The picture he paints of Montreal is really cool.  I'm so soaked with Toronto-centric media that having a go at the multicultural hodge podge of big cities through a different lens is refreshing to the point of giddiness.  The characters are troubled without being tragic, and the overall arc of the whole shebang is happy.  It's a quick read and it makes you smile.  I should be frequenting that city a lot more than I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment